The first hybrid in-person and virtual environmental event since the pandemic began, the Congress will drive action on nature-based recovery, climate change and biodiversity for decades to come. The BEST programme includes a dedicated Pavilion to the EU Overseas Biodiversity: the “Best and Beyond” Pavilion” in order to promote actions on biodiversity and nature conservation in EU overseas and outermost territories.
|?️ 3-11 SEPTEMBER 2021|
? MARSEILLE – FRANCE
What to expect?
The forum is a hub of public debate, bringing together people from around the world to discuss and develop solutions to the world’s most pressing conservation and sustainability challenges. It will demonstrate innovative, scalable solutions to addressing critical challenges at the local and global levels, highlighting efforts of stakeholders from all sectors across the globe – from small island states to entire regions, and from individual to collective actions. The Forum will include a range of events from High-Level Dialogues, to training and capacity building sessions, as well as exhibition and social events.
The Members’ Assembly is IUCN’s highest decision-making body. During the Assembly, IUCN’s more than 1300 state and government agency members, civil society and indigenous peoples’ Member organisations from more than 160 countries vote on pressing conservation and sustainable development issues. IUCN’s unique and inclusive membership gives the Congress a powerful mandate, allowing these decisions to guide humanity’s relationship with our planet for the decades ahead. Key Decisions adopted during the Members Assembly include electing the IUCN Council, approving of the IUCN programme for the next four-year period, discussing topics of strategic importance, adopting motions defining the general policy of IUCN and amending Statutes of IUCN.
In the Exhibition, IUCN Members and Commissions, businesses, partners, and academia host stands and events. The Exhibition is open to both registered Congress participants and the general public (free access), allowing exhibitors to showcase their research, innovations and other work to the broadest Congress audience.
My green Congress
Focusing on sustainability and ensuring a green Congress in Marseille is at the core of all Congress preparations, reflecting the values of IUCN, the government of France, and the conservation community.
Following the success and ISO 20121 sustainability certification that was achieved by the 2016 IUCN World Conservation Congress, France and IUCN have set high standards in terms of sustainability and are dedicated to leading by example. They decided to engage once again in the ISO 20121 certification of the Congress to secure the implementation of a sustainable management system to design, plan and produce the event.
A Congress Sustainability Policy has been defined with all the parties involved and identifies 4 Strategic Goals and 21 objectives:
- Environmental Goal => Minimize the carbon footprint of the event
- Economic & Social Goal => Maximize the engagement and benefits for the local territories
- Legacy Goal => Reinforce and value local sustainable practices
- Inclusion Goal => Host all audiences, in total security and with respect to each one
The Sustainable Action Plan integrates 115 initiatives, which will be implemented by the organisation, the local territories, and the main suppliers and partners. Among the main initiatives:
- Eco-design of all spaces and rooms, maximising rental and reemployment of materials
- 100% electricity of the Congress will be covered by renewable energy produced locally
- All carbon emissions of the Congress, including transportation of all participants will be offset in several projects throughout the world (view more details on the My Green Congress page)
- Use of common transportation is facilitated leveraging Marseille’s large transport network and negotiated offers for the different types of participants
- Restaurants have been selected to respect a strict sustainable food charter with 100% seasonal products, 70% bio and/or local products and at least 1 vegetarian option. They are audited and accompanied by the Ecotable label.
- Waste-sorting including organic waste & 100% compostable tableware, interactive cigarette butt collector
- Minimisation of paper use and zero-plastic bottles
- Water fountains and reusable cups & bottles
Please view the Sustainability Guide for Participants.
For more information check out the My Green Congress page and view the Congress Sustainability Policy
Best and Beyond Pavilion
The BEST programme includes a dedicated Pavilion to the EU Overseas Biodiversity: the “Best and Beyond” Pavilion” in order to promote actions on biodiversity and nature conservation in EU overseas and outermost territories. Experiences and projects will be shared from 4 to 9 September during sessions, some in French and others in English. In case you are interested in following the event, you are invited to take a look at the programme, available here.
BEST – voluntary scheme for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services in Territories of European overseas – is a European initiative that aims to support the conservation of biodiversity and sustainable use of ecosystem services, including ecosystem-based approaches to climate change adaptation and mitigation, in the EU Outermost Regions (ORs) and Overseas Countries and Territories (OCTs). Join us to know more about the unique EU Overseas’ biodiversity, the numerous BEST projects and our partners!
More information about the congress and access to registration available HERE